Re: High RPM Smoke

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Subject: Re: High RPM Smoke
From: "Tom Shirley" <tshirley@vol.com>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 11:34:01 -0400
> Hello all.  On the freeway maintaining about 70 mph recently, I noticed
> intermittent whisps of smoke coming out of the tailpipes.  Looked mostly
> white (I know, I know), but upon closer inspection at home had a tinge of
> blue...

White is water. You may have a bad head gasket or cracked water jacket. Does
the temp gauge rise and fall periodically?

>Some of that other thick-as-honey gunk I see on the shelves
> that says "Prevents Smoking Engines!"  Any opinions?

I wouldn't waste money on any of the additives. They don't work. My advice:

1. Keep good oil in it (check it every time you drive it until it's
rebuilt).

2. Don't push the engine so hard. Take the roads that don't require you to
run it so hard. I know that may be hard in LA.

Hope this helps.

Tom Shirley - Chattanooga, TN
http://www.geocities.com/baddogracing/