Re: TD Front Brakes

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TD Front Brakes
From: "John Quilter" <jquilter@peoplepc.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 20:21:16 -0700
My bet would be that something in the master cylinder is hanging up or
misadjusted and not allowing fluid to return properly after the brakes are
released.   The adjustment of the master cylinder push rod is critical here.
There must be some slack that permits the piston to fully retract and open
the port to the reservoir.  In my experience the usual failure mode of stop
lamp switches is that they do not turn the stop lamps on, not that they
stick and hold the lights on.

I rather doubt that the silicone fluid is to blame.  I have been using it in
my MGTD,  Morris Minor, Austin America. and Jaguar 3.8S for well over 20
years with great success.

John Quilter
Brisbane, California
1951 MGTD, etc.