Re: TD Front Brakes

To: wtsnyder@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: TD Front Brakes
From: "Dave and Liz DuBois" <ddubois@sinclair.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 19:42:47 -0700 (PDT)
The fact that the brake lights remain on says that the problem is further
back than the wheel cylinders, return springs, or flexible hoses.  I agree
with Terry, that the system may still have some air in it, but I am more
inclined to believe that the master cylinder is not returning far enough
to uncover the relief hole.  This could be a problem with the master
cylinder itself (as Terry experienced) or a push rod between the brake
pedal and the master cylinder being a bit too long. If the clevis pin
holes in the brake pedal and/or the push rod were welded closed and
redrilled to get rid of excessive wear, it is possible that the holes were
redrilled a bit off center, causing the problem.  Silicone fluid will not
cause the seals in the brake system to swell, unless the seals were not
replaced after having been used with DOT 3 or 4 fluid, nor will it cause a
problem with the brake light switch.

Good luck,
Dave