Re: How much Coolant?

To: "Scott Allen" <scottinarl@hotmail.com>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: How much Coolant?
From: "lbprince" <lbprince@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 14:21:11 -0700
Scott,

If you want to keep the radiator full and not have coolant on your garage
floor, an overflow bottle works great.  The best appearance option (and
perhaps most expensive) is a stainless overflow tube that is sold at hot rod
and speed shops.  It can be mounted vertically near the radiator.  Another
approach is an MGB or Fiat surge tank.  I have even seen tanks that are made
up from 2-1/2 inch PVC pipe.   Although not the prettiest, a plastic
container sold at auto parts stores will work if you can find room to mount
it.

When you replace your battery, consider installing an Optima brand.  It is
somewhat expensive, but provides excellent cranking capacity and takes up
less space.  This will allow the bottle to neatly fit in the vacant area in
the battery compartment.

When adding an overflow bottle to a TF (pressurized), install a second
rubber gasket in the radiator cap to allow the fluid to be sucked back in
when things cool.  The gasket measures 2" o.d. and 5/8" i. d.

Ben