Re: TD Clutch Linkage

To: "David Tinker" <david.tinker@virgin.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: TD Clutch Linkage
From: "lbprince" <lbprince@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 15:46:33 -0700
David,

Here are a couple of Carl's paragraphs from the article on elongating the
clutch connecting rod (diagram references not included):

"The connecting rod that actuates the clutch is too short.  When the clutch
linkage is adjusted correctly, the clutch adjusting nut is generally screwed
in to the end of its adjustment.  Many times it will bottom out against the
hex.  Worse than that, the front lever is now in such an extreme clockwise
position (RHD vehicle) that it bends the threaded rod.  The bending occurs
when the clutch pedal is depressed and the lever is thus required to rotate
further clockwise.  The nut and rod interfere with the lever.  Phooey!
Elongating the connecting rod, sat 5/8", moves the adjusting nut out toward
the center of its adjustment range -- cheers!  It also rotates the lever
counterclockwise to a position where it can no longer interfere with the
threaded rod."

"This "end of adjustment' problem can occur with both the cable and rod
mechanisms.  Whether it occurs, and how bad it is depends upon the tolerance
build up in the clutch linkage.  The drawing in the factory Workshop Manual
displays a nicely adjusted linkage.  Notice how the lever and its adjusting
nut are somewhere near the center of their adjusting range -- cheers.
Unfortunately, this desirable condition is seldom (never) attained using
factory supplied parts."

Ben