RE: Rear axle

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Rear axle
From: Andy Cost <andycost@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 14:51:56 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
It reall depends on the intended use and how the unit is set up.  There are
thousands of cars made every day that are factory limited slip.  If you get
your 8.8 from a mustang it will most probably have a limited slip.  There is
nothing wrong with having a limited slip in your car unless you plan on running
a 205/75/14 on one side and a 185/60/14 on the other.  Then you will have tire
and limited slip clutch problems.  Most street driven limited slips are very
loose and don't cause chatter when cornering.  It will definately help with
launching the car and avoiding one wheel spin.  I had a limited slip in my
mustang and have one in my BMW and don't even notice them.  If you are really
concerned then you can get a viscous limited slip or a quaife which have no
chatter.  They don't have the ultimate grip that a good old clutch pack style
has but they do help a lot.

Any rear end that you put in the roadster will probably have to be narrowed.  I
would look into the 8" from a granada or similar.  They are fairly strong and
light weight.  Moser can narrow them for $220.  The 8.8" is good but a little
heavier and more expensive.

My 84 Mazda RX7 rear end had limited slip and disc brakes.  I got the whole car
for $100 had the housing narrowed for $100 and the axles narrowed for $110.
That comes to a whopping $310 for my narrowed rear axle.  You can't buy the
roadster unit for that price.

If you find an 85 RX7 GSL-SE it has the correct bolt pattern for the roadster
wheels.

Andy