Re: Rear axle

To: "John Roper" <john@roper-photo.com>, "'Roadster List'"
Subject: Re: Rear axle
From: "Mark Sedlack" <msedlack@neo.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 22:36:47 -0500
I'll second the 8.8 LSD swap - that's what I did on the "R" to take the
torque from the V6.  I have a page dedicated to it on my website
http://www.mildevco.net/chevypowereddatsuns/axle_engine_tranny.htm

I chose the 8.8 over a 9" mosly for size and weight - a 9" would be waaaay
overkill for as light as a Roadster is.  If you've got that much torque,
you're just gonna grease the tires into bubbling goo.

Total cost was around $900, but that was with new clutches, pinion setup
kit, etc. since I changed the gear set in the process.  Got the used axle
for $225. Had a local guy cut the housing to the dim's in the drawing and do
the gearset setup ( time -vs- dollar choice there)

Moser cut down, re-splined, and re-drilled the stock Mustang GT axles.

You can browse the rest from the main page listed in my sig.
Mark Sedlack
ZROC
Cuyahoga Falls OH
66 1600 http://www.mildevco.net/chevypowereddatsuns/