Re: Rear axle

To: Francisco Arriaga <fj_arriaga@yahoo.com>, Roadster List
Subject: Re: Rear axle
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@tlabgalaxy.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 20:34:15 -0600
> Frank

> On a related subject to engine swap; how strong is the
> rear axle and differential of the 1600s? Any idea on
> how much power they can stand? Are there any ways to
> make them stronger (shot penning, cryo-treatment,
> etc)? Possible axle swaps?

Frank,

How much power are you talking about? If you're talking a major swap with a
lot of torque like a V-6 or V-8, I'd seriously consider a custom swap like a
9 inch ford setup from Moser or another supplier.

We've bounced swaps around here on the list before, but without calling with
measurements and asking for a quote we won't know for sure. Educated guesses
are that the custom built setup based on more common/cheaper domestic bits
would be cheaper both to build and maintain than using OEM Datsun/Nissan
parts.

I wish the 510s and Z-Cars were as easy to upgrade the diff and change
ratios as the roadsters, if you do a swap. I definitely would look at it
seriously rather than shoring up the OEM bits.

My opinion, for what it's worth,
Ron