Re: MGB GT

To: "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>, <geegc@aol.com>
Subject: Re: MGB GT
From: "Daryl Smith" <drlsmith@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 20:41:49 -0700
Subject: MGB GT

> Anyone have any thoughts on getting a late 60s MGB?  A friend had one in
> her youth, is now thinking of doing it again.
>
> Are they as reliable as the 1600s?
>
> I know one lister in NYC has at least one MGB, anyone else?
>
> Gary C

Although I have never had one, I have known people who have. Oil leaks, and
electricals seemed to be the biggest concerns, although with todays gasket
sealers and "modernised" electricals those two shouldn't be as bad.

If she got one which has been relatively recently restored and looked after,
I can't see it being any worse than our cars. Although parts are more
readily available, DatsunMike (NYC) has'nt been impressed with the fit of
some of those replacement parts.

Power was also a concern, as I used to really leave them behind in my
rustbucket, blue smokin' 1600 4 spd in the '80s. The head was designed with
only 5 ports (2 intake, 3 exhaust) as compared to the eight of a "normal" 4
banger. If you've got the bucks tho, parts are available, and they do seem
to be able to make reasonable power, but she is probably looking at a
stocker.

The Toyota 22R engine out of a Celica used to be a popular swap with a 5
spd.
There is a very nicely done MGB GT locally here with a 350ci / 6 spd out of
a Corvette.

I like the look of the cars, inside and out.

my $.02
Daryl