bodywork question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: bodywork question
From: Stan <stathy@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 20:54:29 -0700
Hello everyone, I have a quick question...I hope.

My car has been stripped to bare metal.  It's been like this for a long time,
almost a year.
There is a very light dusting of rust reapearing on the body. With that said,
this is the advise I've been
given and I'm very confussed as to how to deal with it.

1)  Use phosphoric acid to clean and take off the surface rust.
2)  Use a metal conditioner
3)  Next spray with etching primer
4)  Then use a top coat primer such as an epoxy
5)  Paint right away as primer absorbs water and causes rusting if not
painted

I've heard this from many people.  Here are my question:
What if I'm not ready to paint the car for another year or so.  I can't leave
it bare, yet, I can't prime it because
I was told that primer on a car for an extended period of time is no good.

Also, if I have body work to do I was told that it's best to use fillers on
top of bare metal.
Does this mean I cannot wash, condition, etch and prime the car until all the
body work is done?

Excuse my inexperience and lengthy questions.  I just want to be able to do
this right once, and not have to worry about rust bubbles forming 2 years down
the road.

Stan
1969- 1600
Coquitlam, BC,