vapor lock revisited ....

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: vapor lock revisited ....
From: "Napolean Dynamite" <elvis@channel1.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 15:37:21 -0400
Hello again,

As the warm weather returns to the Northeast, I am reminded of the vapor lock
problems I never addressed last year. I would like to make eliminating this
problem my first order of business and I have a few questions that I hope the
group will consider. Here is a list of potential remedies I have found in my
research:

use clothespins on the fuel line as a heat sink
    (where do the clothespins go, and what type of clothespin)
get a vented gas cap
    (Aren't all gas caps vented, how would I know if mine is or isn't)
use a less volatile gasoline
    (This one is out of my control I believe, but is there an additive that
will make the gas less volatile)
use newer hoses that have fewer nucleation sites where vapor bubbles can form
insulate the fuel lines
    (What is a good insulation and which sections should be insulated)
re-route the fuel lines
be sure the heat shield is in place
    (What does the heat shield look like and where is it located)
check the vapor return valve on the carb inlet
    (Is this standard equipment on a 2000)
install an electric fan
    (Who makes a good electric fan and where can it be installed on a
Roadster)
install an electric fuel pump
    (Who makes a good electric fuel pump, and where should it be installed on
a Roadster. Also, what is the importance of an oil pressure safety switch if
installing an electric fuel pump.)

I would appreciate any comments about the usefulness of these potential
remedies. I also have specific questions about each of these items (see
above). Finally, what order would you suggest I try each of these remedies. It
would be great if changing the gas cap would eliminate the problem.

Thanks for your help and any comments, experiences, opinions, advice is
appreciated

Mike
68 2000