Re: Originality (kind of long)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Originality (kind of long)
From: jon_wissler@pngc.com
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 10:50:21 -0800
        I think originality should be a goal, but common sense has to come
in to play as well.  Sure, if you're made of money or have lots of spare
time and mechanical skills, you can painstakenly re-create the "showroom
floor" car, but how many of us have either.  I was fortunate to purchase a
completely original unmodified 1969 2000, and I love the fact that it is
original.  I made sure when I corrected a few interior warts that I went
with original stock replacements (cig lighter and ashtray slider, shift
boot, brake handle boot).  And I also ordered the original door panel
replacements, even though mine are in excellent condition, because mine
are not the stock pattern.  However, when it comes to mechanicals, and
something breaks, why not make an improvement if the change is practically
unoticeable?  When my water pump went out, I plopped down over $200 to get
one from Nissan (this was before I new about the vendors or this list),
but had my mechanic fabricate a flex fan set-up rather than trying to fix
my "bolted down" fan clutch.  When my alternator went south, I went with
the cheaper and better GM one wire, though I have yet to move it to the
passenger side.  The great thing about this car, in my opinion, is that
you can leave it pretty much stock and it goes like a bat of hell, is fun
to drive, and relatively trouble free and easy to perform routine
maintenance.  I may think differently when the timing chain finally gives
out, and if I have the money, would seriously consider the SR20DE motor as
a replacement.  I think the stock braking system works great, the stock or
factory optional competion suspension is adequate, the gauging is good, it
has a five speed, what else is there to worry about?  I know a lot of you
guys autocross and want to maximize the handling and performance, but for
a daily driver (in Oregon that means about three to four months out of the
year), the car "as is" is a great car.  I almost sold mine this fall due
to my economic situation, but a home refinance has staved off the disaster
(I'm signing papers today hopefully !!!).  If I had started out with an
emaciated rust bucket, it probably would have been a different story, but
since mine came intact and in condition, I hope to keep it as original as
possible.

NOWROC
69 SRL
Troutdale, OR