Re: Originality (kind of long)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Originality (kind of long)
From: "John Peak" <johnepeak@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 23:39:01 -0800
Roadster list,

Thanks to all those who responded to my original posting.  I am now
reassured that I am not alone in wanting to preserve the originality of
these cars.  An even bigger thanks to those who didn't respond.  I was
afraid that some on this list might misunderstand my position and flame my
ass.  You did not.

A few comments on some of the responses I received.  I agree with everything
Sid said in his diatribe.  I am no fan of trailer queens either.  The
200,000+ miles on my car are a testament to my belief that cars are meant to
be driven.  Maintaining originality does not mean the car must be put away
forever.  It doesn't even preclude modifications intended to improve
drivability and safety.  I just feel that some attempt should be made to
document and preserve our knowledge of how these cars were originally built.

I went to Shasta a few years ago.  Although there were several 1600's that
were quite original,  the original 2000's were few and far between.  I loved
seeing the beautifully modified cars and talking to their enthusiastic
owners, but I was a little disappointed to see so few U20's.  I think the
U20 is a great engine.  It has wonderful torque and horsepower, a throaty
exhaust note, and looks good under the hood.  I know that timing chain
assemblies are quite expensive, and a new head can cost more than the car is
worth, but I would hate to see them all go away for economic reasons.

And regarding value, yes the roadster has been immune to the price
appreciation other sportscars have enjoyed.  That is probably why many of
you own your cars in the first place.  But that may not always be the case.
My '56 Chevy cost $300 when I bought it.  The Healey was once so worthless
that it just sat in someone's garage for 25 years.  Try buying a restored
example of either of these cars for less that 6 months salary.  Things
change.  The roadster might actually be worth something someday.  If that
day comes, the original ones will be the most desirable.

As for me, I am not interested in the economic aspect.  It's a personal
thing.  And I guess that is what it is all about whether you restore or
customize.  But if we preserve the knowledge of the car's originality, I
think we will all benefit.

Thanks again,
John