In defense of the Miata

To: "Pamela Bauman" <ntrlclr@earthlink.net>,
Subject: In defense of the Miata
From: "Victor Laury" <vlaury@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 21:31:09 -0800
Pam Wrote - And, who pray tell me in 25 years is going to want to restore a
Miata, or that new Z.

I wouldn't mind restoring an 90 or 91 Miata right now.

It's really quite an elegant example of everything we cherish in the idea of
"Roadster" With the added benefit parts are infinitely more available. Now,
I would not trade my Datsun for one. I'd sure feel more comfortable beating
a Miata up, diving roadster hard, while pampering the Datsun a bit more than
I do now.  They are true affordable sportscars, filling exactly the same
niche the Datsun Roadster did 25 years earlier.

The fact that they go like stink and corner like glue doesn't hurt either.
Think about Mazda today and Datsun then. For each, Motor Sports was the
pride of the company. When I go to an event and see all those Mazdas
WINNING, I think of the Datsun of the 60's and 70's. Winning was their
identity. For me, that history is one of the reasons I cherish my Datsun
roadster as much as I do.  I feel it when I look at my 240Z as well.

So, they made millions of them and you've seen poseurs diving them. How made
Datsuns were bought by the "Oh what a cute car" crowd when they were first
sold? just to be discarded for the next "in" thing three years later. Not
all our cars went to sports car fanatics. By this time, the "it's just a
car" people who bought first generation Miatas have moved on to something
else. Maybe a Ford Focus ZX3 he, he, he!