RE: steering wheel question

To: ntrlclr@earthlink.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: steering wheel question
From: "Stephen McCartney" <sgam@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 05:06:26 +0000
Well, without starting a flame war on Miatas (already a classic in there own
time, IMHO, and without 'em we wouldn't have the S2000, Z3 or Porsche
Boxter, hmmm?).  But I digress.

US spec airbags seem to be more harmfull than helpfull.  Regardless, airbags
of any spec are going to be less usefull than fitting decent belts.
Lap/sash as a minimum, but if you're really keen on safety, fit a roll bar
and a 4 (better yet, 5) point harness.  I've got a 3 point in my car - it's
not great, but it's certainly better than a simple lap belt.  The harness
isn't a problem for day to day driving - remember my car IS my daily driver.

The other thing to do, besides making sure that brakes, suspension and
steering are up to scratch, is to do defensive or advanced driver training -
it's the only money you can spend on safety that's transferable to EVERY car
you drive.  Makes sense to learn how to drive properly, especially when
you've got a car with virtually irreplaceble panels, IMHO.

cheers,
Steve
'68 2000 Solex