wheels that will fit

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: wheels that will fit
From: "Tony Genovese" <chaztg@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 16:13:59 -0000
Hi guys and gals,
I think the suggestion to go with aftermarket wheels that fit Zs as a sure
bet to fit on our roadsters is a good one. The stock alloy wheels that came
on later 280ZXs like the 14" diameter Iron Cross, common six-spoke, and 15"
turbo rims in the swastika and snowflake designs all use the unique factory
lugs that have the 12mm threads. Basically, the lugs are wider/they have a
thicker shank (the smooth part that fits through the lug hole and aligns the
wheel) than standard aftermarket lugs made for aftermarket wheels.
I don't know if this type of lug is still being made by car manufacturers,
but it causes problems when the ZX wheels are fitted to a roadster. There is
no lugnut in that design with that peculiar shank that will work with
roadster 7/16" lug studs, although it works with all Zs and four-lug ZXs.
But remember, there are factory alloy wheels floating around that came on
early generation 280Zs--these will work, but they are only 14" wheels. I
don't know the width, but I'd suspect it's 4.5" or 5".
And remember, the very first 300ZXs were four lug and had those distinctive
flat face wheels which also will fit, but the lugs will have to be switched.
Switching the lugs is A LOT of work, BTW.
Tony
67.5 1600 w/U20 & Mikunis
San Diego, CA