Re: OK really dumb question

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OK really dumb question
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 09:55:22 -0500
>>  Keith:
>>
>>  Torque limiting my @&^#^%&*^%.

What I'm talking about are the colored extensions they use on the air
guns which, if they're using the ones built for 80 lb/ft, really don't
help a heck of a lot, IMHO.

>Mike:

>BTW, I always use antiseize on the studs.

Me, too, especially after I had to replace a bunch of lug bolts. Don't
really know if it was caused by tire shop jockeys and high pressure air
guns, but these things just snapped right off when I used a 4-way lug
wrench to loosen them! The silver Permatex stuff can be a mess but it
works well.

However this does bring up the question of how using lubricants affects
torque reading and clamping force, particularly on things like head, rod
and main bearing cap bolts. I know on rods bolts you look for bolt
stretch while watching torque, but any compensation need to be made when
oiling head bolt threads?

Inquiring minds, and all that...,
Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)