Re: How hard is AXing on your car?

To: Robert.Long@CSDInc.com
Subject: Re: How hard is AXing on your car?
From: John Atchison <jda@srv.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:09:32 -0700
Robert:

I have auto-x raced my 69 2000 for more than 10 years,
running 6 to 12 events each summer.

Still used it as an occasional daily driver to work in the summer.

Car was slowly transformed from stock to street prepared,
now under going another rebuild,
but will still be a street car,
as I LIKE to drive it.

Auto-x racing the car has helped bring out it's weak points,
which then get fixed.
After nursing the car home on a 5 hour trip
with a leaking head gasket
across the Utah Salt Flats & desert heat,
I resurfaced the head & fixed that problem !

Auto-x racing definitely wears out tires and brakes more than street driving.
On the other hand, the only things that have broke during races,
were "fixes" or "improvements" that I have made for racing...... :)
Such as .. relocating the battery to the trunk,
then having it break loose and go crashing around the trunk !

Have also raced it at probably 20 hillclimb races
over 5 years time.
This is quite a bit more risky for the car,
given the consequences if you go off the road at speed.

Summary, if you keep your roadster to enjoy DRIVING it,
then keep on auto-x racing, you really can't hurt it.
You meet great people, have lots of fun,
and will occasionally have to work on your car.
What could be better ?

John Atchison
69 2000
Idaho Falls, ID