Re: How hard is AXing on your car?

To: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: How hard is AXing on your car?
From: "John Schmitt" <jschmi7@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 08:23:55 -0600
Mike,  As I implied in my last response, I mean no disrespect to the Miata.
It is a really wonderful car.  In fact, when it first came out, someone,
probably on this list, wrote to Road and Track, after their artical on the
Miata, that the Datsun Roadster was the first Miata with good reliaibility
in an English type design.  That letter got my memory of my first Roadster
going and within 6 months I had purchased my current one.

Thirty years ago parts were as readily available for the Roadster as they
are for the Miata today.  You could break it and fix it.  The manufacturer
would build a new part to replace the one distroyed.  That is not the case
today.  In 30 years, the Miata may also be as rare as the roadster is
today, although they have built a million Miatas to 40K Roadsters, and at
that time it too may no longer be a "throwaway car".

An example:  Doesn't it really bother you when they drive an XKE into a
building for an effect while making a movie?  Does is bother you to see a
1998 Corvette in the same place?  The vette is replaceable, the cat is not.
Nor is the Roadster.

John Schmitt    Telecommuter External # - 847-458-7829
pager 800-759-8888 pin#  8710561

"datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com> on 03/21/2001 07:02:52 AM