RE: Buyer's Advice Needed

To: "'Datsun Fairlady'" <datsun_fairlady@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Buyer's Advice Needed
From: Andrew Murphy <andrew.murphy@integtech.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 17:07:33 -0800
Ken,

Most people (including me) do not own these cars as daily drivers because
they are two seat sports cars (With the exception of some of the 1500
models) and it's hard to take clients to lunch (if more than one) or to put
a lot of groceries in the 3.8 cubic feet the trunk has to offer (with no
spare). That isn't to say it couldn't BE a daily driver. Just realize that
they aren't as easy to fix or to get parts for and you can't pack much into
them.

I think the more info you get the better. Find out the closest roadster
owners to you and also where you can get the thing serviced and also where
to get parts. As far as what kind to buy, the 1600 model is more readily
available because they made more of them and you can get a decent one for
around 3-4 grand. There are some for sale on the vendor websites right now
in this range. Check out the buyer's guide on Datsun.org. It's great.

If you want some more zip, then you can opt for a 2000 model. More
expensive, but bigger motor. If you want economy, I would recommend a 68-70
car as the "earlies" may cost a little more as they are a little more rare.
(Don't I know it!) As far as reliability is concerned, if they are properly
serviced and are maintained, these cars are great! The motors are strong and
they are very fun to drive. I will say this: get the best car you can
afford. Pay more attention to the motor, brakes, suspension and mechanical
stuff as opposed to cosmetics.

My two cents,

Andrew Murphy
67.5 2000 Solex