Re: open letter to Ralle

To: heyace@gte.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: open letter to Ralle
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 04:40:47 EST
<< I would really like to have a copy of this infamous catalog  Seems to be
sort of a roadster bible?.  Perhaps you could get a few copies made @ Kinko's
and sell them to make you dollars back?  Better yet, how about getting a price
for a color copy from Kinko's and figure the shipping and I'll send you the
$$$ >>

Hello,

I have a copy of the catelog.  I believe that the catelog costs $20.00.  It
comes in two parts and both are very well put together and of extremely high
quality.  Almost 250 pages of not only parts but lots of Roadster information
in regards to production, model distinction, Roadster history, and also assy
drawings of many parts of the drivetrain and other mechanicals.  It is almost
a shame to call it a catelog.  It is more like a Datsun Roadster Book.

In regards to making copies for resale.  It would be impossible to duplicate
their work and a shame to try and resell it.  And even if one were to make
copies for resale you would end up paying the same or slightly more for "just
copies"  But most importanly, I dont think it is legal to make copies of their
work.

I make this determination only because I make the Classic Datsun Calendar.  I
can see the quality of the materials used to make the catelog.  Aside from all
of our wonderful parts-houses we have Datsun Magazines, Catelogs, Registries
and of course the Calendar.  Many people don't understand the work that goes
into our products.  We make these products for the enthusiasts to enjoy.  At
the same time it gives us the opportunity to express ourselves in our work.

I put in many, many hours working on the calendar.  And when I am not
physically working on it I am thinking about what I need to do to get it
completed on time.  Oh yeah, I also have a full time job, "on the side".  We
all hope to make alittle money with our business ventures but we have to be
realistic about things.  We are selling to a small group of folks with a very
specific interest.  We must be doing it for other reasons than profit.  I will
be making another Classic Datsun Calendar for at least one more year.  After
that, I don't know.  No, we arn't rich.  Not by a long shot!  (You should see
the car Marc Sayer drives!)  As a matter of fact, I still owe a couple grand
from the '99 Calendar.  The only profit I made was the friendships that
developed through the calendars production.

Michael "Calspeed" Carion
67.5 SRL Solex
San Francisco, Ca

ps:  Buy more magazines, catelogs, registries and calendars!