Re: cleaning glass

To: dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu
Subject: Re: cleaning glass
From: BERKEN@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 00:22:27 EST
In a message dated 2/24/99 10:50:49 AM Mountain Standard Time,
dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu writes:

<< Hi All

        So I am finally getting around to putting the windows back in.
 I should have the car weather proof by summer ;)
        My original window glass is dirty.  I have scrubbed it with windex
 but it is still spotty.  It looks like old hard water deposits on the glass.
        Does anyone have any suggestions about how to really really clean
 30 yr old glass??

                Daniel 69 2000

Daniel,

There are two ways that work well.  One is chemical--use Phosphoric Acid
Cleaner.  I got some at Home Depot, and also use it to clean hard water
deposits off of showers.  Wear rubber gloves and DON'T get it on any painted
surfaces.  I would only use it on the window glass if it's not in the door or
you mask it off really good.  Another way is with mild abrasives.  I use 3M
Polishing Compound.  It's the same stuff I use to buff paint.  It's mildly
abrasive and has even worked to take out minor scratches and pits out of
windshields.  You can use a cloth or a buffer with a lamb's wool or synthetic
pad on it.

Joseph Berkenbile
70 1600
Albuquerque