Re: Roadster racer?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Roadster racer?
From: bill/liz wessel <bwessel@itis.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 23:42:08 -0500
> The roadster's a limited production car, and too narrow and heavy to be
> competitive in vintage classes (without a lot of work- several teams win
> with their roadsters, I've heard) so there aren't a lot of people tuning
> them aggressively.  >>
>
>Hello all,
>I know there are quite a few (ex & active) Roadster racers out there. It would
>be interesting & informative to hear anyone's comments or experiences with
>respect to Toby's statement above. New thread anyone?

Well Carter, I quess I have to respond to that one....Yes, racing roadsters
is a lot of work and a lot of tuning, but its the same with any competitive
race car. (hey, that's racing, right?) True, there aren't as many "go fast"
parts sources out there as say for a brit car or corvette or 911 or BMW.
But you get into a car and you go from there.... In my experience, it took
two learning seasons before I put a competitive car on the track this past
year....and I ran away with the class (Midwestern Council). Now I am much
more experienced and looking for the elusive 2-3 seconds that will put me
at the front of the class (SCCA National). Joe Hauser once told me that a
roadster will never win at Mid-Ohio. I'd like to one day prove him wrong.
That is my aspiration anyway. He may be right, those Spitfires seem to have
a lock on GP. When I can get into the 24's at Blackhawk (I ran a 26 this
past summer) then I think I'll be ready to give them a run. Slowly I'm
getting the parts, contacts and experience I need...just a matter of
tracktime, money and knowhow.

Bill Wessel
Madison, WI
68 1600, 69 2000,