Re: Roadster racer?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Roadster racer?
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 19:11:33 EST
Hello,

I plan to involve myself in some racing this year as I just received my SCCA
Racing Licence.  I will be racing my 67.5 Solex at some of the Vintage Venues
within the next few months.

I know from experience that during a track day with a NorCal Racing club, I
was always able to keep up with most of the cars <competition> on the road
course.  I ran against the likes of Miatas, Integras, 948's, Mustangs and a
Viper too.  I ran the 1.9 mile course at a best of 1:41 per lap on street
tires, (Dunlop D60 A2's / 195/60-14) while all of the other cars ran with high
performance tires and huge wheels.

The best laps in the club were in the 1:35 per lap.  Those were the Turbo''d
Miatas running on slicks and the V-8's.  I didn't feel bad at all getting
blasted on the front and back straights as I consistantly caught up in the
twisties but the tires didn't hold to well at all..  This year I plan to have
the suspension dailed in better and run with different tires!  I am currently
looking at the Yokohama AO32's.  I have a feeling that things will be alot
different.

So how do I feel this translates to Vintage racing?  I feel that if my 2000
Solex can pretty much keep up with the newer cars it should do very well on
the track against other Vintage cars.  More to follow.....  ;>)

pics of my Thunderhill track day...
http://members.aol.com/Calspeed1/t-hill98.html

Michael "Calspeed" Carion
San Francisco, Ca