Re: Polished Aluminum

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Polished Aluminum
From: dtn <noji@mail.ahc.umn.edu>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 13:16:37 -0600
At 10:24 AM 2/1/99 -0800, Toby B wrote:
>That's a tough one,
>       since aluminum itself is really reactive, and therefore oxidizes pretty
>fast.  (the oxide is quite stable, tho, and has given aluminum a
>reputation as being low-corrosion.  amazing what you remember from
>freshman chem!)
>       Clearcoating is really required.  I like the dull, sandblasted look of
>aluminum, so I blast and clearcoat with Delstar urethane.  It adheres
>well to the sandblasted metal- anyone tried it on polished surfaces?
>All I know,
>Toby

How about anodizing the aluminum?  It could be in interesting color
modification.  Normally I see aluminum anodized in black, but I also see
things coming through the lab in a rainbow of colors.

Thinking of aluminum oxides, living in the mid west requires the clearing
of windshields of snow and ice.  For those who remember their basis earth
science, aluminum is lower than glass on the Moe's hardness scale.  This is
not true of aluminum oxide which is harder than glass.  So don't use that
pop can as an emegency ice scraping device.

Dana