RE: Trip to the U.K.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Trip to the U.K.
From: "Mark N. Pacey" <M.N.Pacey@sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 09:13:07
> Marcus writes:
>
> Who wants a car in London anyway?  I was very happy using public
> transport the whole time.  In fact, I wouldn't recommend using a car
> in any major UK city, except perhaps at night.

Yeah, right.  It's all very well in London, and maybe Glasgow, which
have tube systems, but public transport in most other places in the
UK is dreadful.  It is unreliable and slow, with many areas having
hardly any service.  It's best in the cities, but doing without a car
could cause you problems.  But then, the best sight seeing is often
done on foot, so why worry?

Someone recommended that a trip is made to Gaydon, this is well worth
it.  It is owned by Rover and has cars from all the companies that
went into making the modern Rover, including a number of prototypes,
specials and rally cars.  They have turbine driven cars, a Mini with
coil suspension and it must be the only museum in the world with a
Morris Ital!  They let you get right up to the cars as well.  There is
also a motor museum in Stratford, small, but crammed with cars, with
more emphasis on older cars, and the Patrick collection in Birmingham
which is a 'theme' museum, with cars from a particular era set out
with other artefacts from the time around them.

Mark