Re: Subject: Re: shop manuals

To: <Smokerbros@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: shop manuals
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 21:51:02 -0600
If you are wanting to look into MY competition-prepared engine not just any
old engine, and you lose the protest, you pay what it costs to reassemble MY
engine to its standard not the cost to reassemble any old motor to stock
factory specs. (My guy charges almost a grand just to disassemble the
thing!).

MY engine does not get built by Shadetree Joe, I don't expect to have to
endure his level of expertise (or lack of same) to un-build it just because
you want to look inside it.

Keep in mind, however, MY engine is in a Prepared context. It has a lot of
legal modifications in it that Joe the Repairman is not competent to deal
with. If you have more money in your motor than your car cost new (which I
do now!), you should expect that any work done on it including a protest
teardown is done by someone competent to work on a competition-prepared
motor. Flat rate does not apply.  It is not reasonable to expect the owner
of a car to submit to a teardown  -- or more the point, to have to endure
reassembly -- by someone whose competence to do so is in question. I have a
very good mechanic here in town that does work on my bone-stock street
Spitfire. He doesn't touch the race car. That expertise involves things such
as knowing my engine's head torque is 75# not the 55# listed in the -- wait
for it -- the SHOP MANUAL!!  :-)

If you are talking stock engines, probably even ST engines, then it is more
reasonable to expect that the local dealer is competent to do that work --
if only because the work would fall within the parameters of a stock engine.

--Rocky