Re: Street Mod exclusions

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Street Mod exclusions
From: "msmith2" <msmith2@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 18:40:00 -0500
> It's good to see you're including the quotes in the above.
> They're quite appropriate. SM more open than Prepared in many
> ways, but with interiors.

And lights, and wipers, and heaters, and tread, and stereos, and....

> Yep. And BOVs, and whatever. So far, the SM rules don't even
> prohibit putting dry ice on your intercooler. Are you guys gonna
> try to fix that, or is it OK with you?

Why not? The chink in the armor of any SM car will be tires, pure and
simple.

> Not only engine swaps, but no restrictions on what you do inside
> the engine. Prepared ++.

Again, so what? Is there something inherently wrong with it?

> And custom-cut gears. You can build a car with a 1000 rpm wide
> power band and put three or four gears in your 'box that are
> close enough together to keep you there all the way around a Solo
> II course. Try driving that one home.  =8<0

Go ahead, do it. If you have the time to shift that much out on course, I
wouldn't be worried about you going faster than me.

> I claim it's gonna be lots more expensive than most of the
> proponents of the class have ever imagined.

I'm reasonably sure almost all of the PROPONENTS of the class know. Most
have been pricing the stuff to do it anyway, just wishing they had a place
to play once they were done. Now, some of the new people that don't know all
the rules yet might not know....

> Time will tell.

As long as it gets the time it needs. It's only a year old. It might get
axed premeturely as a failed experiment with a dozen or so cars
half-completed in garages.

> But is the turbo Justy gonna be allowed? That's what I really
> wanna know.  ;<)

Why not. Sure it's light, but it's wheelwells aren't big, and it looks a bit
top-heavy to me........

Mike CP58