Re: Street Tire Handicap

To: msirota@isc.upenn.edu
Subject: Re: Street Tire Handicap
From: RacerRay52@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 02:40:26 EDT
In a message dated 5/11/99 1:42:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
msirota@isc.upenn.edu writes:

<< I don't understand your dislike for the annual revisions of the PAX
 index (and every other popular index system).

 The index is an approximation based on limited data.  Every year, there
 are changes in classing, and there's also more data.  Doesn't it make
 sense to revise the index periodically? >>
     The index changes partly because at the national level people often
change cars to get the hottest thing for a particular class. If I ran at the
National level and changed cars a lot I wouldn't be bothered by a changing
PAX because I'd be buying whatever car it took to keep up. Heck, I might even
be the cause of some of the changes if I ran Nats.
     To use that sort of index for a local street tire class, one purpose of
which is to provide a low cost place to run, just doesn't seem a good fit.
People who run in a local street tire class are not buying a new car every
year in order to have the hot ticket. To do so would defeat the purpose of
trying to have a low cost class. So you have this constantly changing goal
which is based on absolutely nothing that has to do with the cars running in
the local  st. tire class.

Ray