Re: Street Tire Handicap

To: RacerRay52@aol.com
Subject: Re: Street Tire Handicap
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 10:51:51 -0400
RacerRay52@aol.com wrote:
> If a guy beats me more than I beat him this year and next year I beat
> him all the time due to nothing but a change in the index I wouldn't
> feel that I had done anything to be proud of.

Okay, so now I understand your point.  Let me rephrase it to be sure;
please correct me if I'm misunderstanding.

For several years, your HS hotshoe has been in a Swift, and your SS
hotshoe has been in a C4 Corvette.

Nationally, the HS hotshoes have been in cars like Celicas, and the SS
hotshoes have been in RX-7TT's.

Since you have no Celicas or RX-7TT's in your club, you'd prefer an
index that simply ignores their existance.  Thus, your index would
remain constant over the years, as the maximum potential for your class
would also remain constant.

If I have that right, then it sounds to me like what you want is a local
index.  Just make one up yourselves, call it whatever you want (but not
PAX or RTP, please), and maintain it as you see fit.  The popular
national indexes have to take into account the best potential car for
the class, and so they will change over time, but your local index
doesn't have to.

The problems with a local index include:
(1) Finger pointing.  When it turns out to be slightly wrong or unfair,
        it's nice when the finger gets pointed to someone who lives
        hundreds or thousands of miles away.
(2) What would happen if Gary Thomason moved to your area?  Now what
        would happen to the index?

Mark