Re: What Class Would This Hybrid Go In?

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What Class Would This Hybrid Go In?
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 01:18:16 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Rocky Entriken <RENTRIKEN/0003006623@mcimail.com>

>It looks to me like that distinction is in things like the BMW listing
>I made reference to, or to Colts being listed on three different lines,
etc.
>But in the Integra case, that different-line distinction is lacking. As if,
>it is not really so much as case of updating/backdating as it is the car
was
>just never changed over those four years so it is the same car
(essentially).
>Therefore, it would not matter if you dropped an '88 engine into what was
an
>'87 chassis.

It's that "essentially" that causes the problem.  In this case, there *are*
some subtle differences between the '86-'87 and '88-'89 cars -- the
compression ratio is slightly higher, so the engine has a few more
horsepower.  The steering is also a shade faster, and the later cars are
about an inch wider (although the track was unchanged).

>Actually, that replacement may have been manufactured in 1996 to the
original
>specs "for an '86-'89 model car" -- therefore is the replacement for all
four
>years of that model. You buy a dead-stock replacement engine, you don't
know
>what year it was manufactured, only that it is the designated replacement
for
>your year/model of car.

Now there's an interesting question -- if you bought a factory-specified
replacement engine for an '86 -- but Honda spec'd them all based on the
latter two years, what then?  Something for the rules lawyers to chew on --
not a question likely to come up at a regional event.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr