Re: What Class Would This Hybrid Go In?

To: Jamie Sculerati <jamies@mrj.com>
Subject: Re: What Class Would This Hybrid Go In?
From: Rocky Entriken <RENTRIKEN/0003006623@MCIMAIL.COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:36:28 -0500 (EST)
jamie wrote

 In this case, there *are*
some subtle differences between the '86-'87 and '88-'89 cars -- the
compression ratio is slightly higher, so the engine has a few more
horsepower.  The steering is also a shade faster, and the later cars are
about an inch wider (although the track was unchanged).
<<<<<

and

replacement engine for an '86 -- but Honda spec'd them all based on the
latter two years, what then?  Something for the rules lawyers to chew on --
not a question likely to come up at a regional event.
<<<<<

It would seem that by including the '86-'89 Integra all on the same line, then,
that what the SEB is saying is the difference between the '86-'87 and the
'88-'89 is not significant enough to warrant making the distinction. IOW,
if someone dropped the '89 engine into an '86 chassis, they are not gaining
an unfair performance advantage. If anything, just leveling the playing field.

I think if I were sitting on a PC and that specific question arose, I would
(based on what I've seen so far) have to rule this "hybrid" legal, not really
a hybrid at all, but simple parts replacement within the allowable years for
the model.

Jamie's point about regional events is well taken. The Integra gal should just
go play and have fun. It should not really be an issue there. If she has
designs on Divisional or higher level, then she should raise the question
at some official level (call Denver) and get the official ruling. All our
blather is extremely UN-official, of course, and may even be (gasp) WRONG! :-)

--Rocky