Re: What Class Would This Hybrid Go In?

To: Josh Sirota <jss@marimba.com>
Subject: Re: What Class Would This Hybrid Go In?
From: Rocky Entriken <RENTRIKEN/0003006623@MCIMAIL.COM>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 15:19:44 -0500 (EST)
Okay, still confused.

Chapter 14 preface includes:
"However, the distinction between different years/models used in Stock
Category does not apply in Street Prepared Category."

So, I'm looking for that "distinction" in Chapter 13, the Stock rules.
Where is it?

It looks to me like that distinction is in things like the BMW listing
I made reference to, or to Colts being listed on three different lines, etc.
But in the Integra case, that different-line distinction is lacking. As if,
it is not really so much as case of updating/backdating as it is the car was
just never changed over those four years so it is the same car (essentially).
Therefore, it would not matter if you dropped an '88 engine into what was an
'87 chassis.

But of course, the '86-'89 Integras are distinguished from the '90-'96
Integras in ES, etc. which ARE different cars.

There is something in the Stock preface about "Option package conversions may
be performed between specific vehicles of a particular make and model, but only
between configureations within a particular model year." Seems what is being
done here is not an option package item, but an engine replacement with,
apparently, the same engine (or, for the sake of my question, assume the same
enngine but maybe just made  year later).

Actually, that replacement may have been manufactured in 1996 to the original
specs "for an '86-'89 model car" -- therefore is the replacement for all four
years of that model. You buy a dead-stock replacement engine, you don't know
what year it was manufactured, only that it is the designated replacement for
your year/model of car.

As I say, I'm a P guy seeing an opportunity for a better understanding of a
key portion of Stock rules. To my P mind, upodate/backdate means it is okay
to put a 1098 engine into a Bugeye Sprite (which came with a 948). This
doesn't seem like update/backdate, this seems like repair/replace while keeping
within the original configuration of the car. What am I missing here?

--Rocky