Re: CM F2000

To: josh@sirota.org, tomsaunders1@charter.net, ggodula@ford.com
Subject: Re: CM F2000
From: CALHOUN65@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 22:04:48 EST
Over the past three weeks the subject of FF2000 cars being worked into the
current CM has been beaten too death.  From my memory, Tommy's statements of
today are the only ones supporting this idea from within the community of BM &
CM
competitors.

As noted by others, CM is a stable class.  Many other classes would love to
consistently have turnouts of 25+ cars at Nationals, year in, year out.  If you
look at Cendiv, Nediv, or TX car counts are often in the double digits for
any Divisional level event.  At Peru for instance, CM will always be one of the
three most populated classes.  As the old adage says "If it ain't broke, don't
fix it!"

The FF2000 has a home and it is BM.  Will it win at Nationals...NO.  Can it
trophy...my belief is YES.  Based on the HP & performance numbers already given
by many others in this forum.  To those that think the wings are of no use in
Solo II, I suggest a little aerodynamic research.  Yes, they may be
ineffective in their current road race state, but they need not stay that way.
The GCR
does allow FC cars to make changes to these devices.  Or look at it this
way... ask Saunders, Domeck, et al to remove the wings from their BM cars and
see
the effect on the cars performance.  Get your video cameras ready it will be a
wild ride!

If there truly is a call for FF2000 cars to run in CM it is pretty simple and
already legal in the GCR.  You do what many a road racer has done of late w/
the healthy market of used FF2000 cars.  You pull the 2.0 out, sell it, drop
in a 1.6, remove the wings (sell these too), & change the wheels.  The changes
can be as simple as that or also incorporate smaller brakes, etc.  Godula's &
Koch's car were both formerly 2.0 cars for FWIW.

The fact of the matter is we have a healthy CM now.  Each of us has $8-18k
invested in our "hobby car."  No monthly payments to a bank, a competitive
class, and what we thought was rules stability.  Our sport has plenty of other
issues which need more attention from the SEB & Nationals Staff than fixing
something which is not broken.  Where is that new Nationals site anyway...

Happy New Year to all!

Peter Calhoun
Calhoun Motorsports
Swift DB-1 Formula Ford