Re: CM F2000

To: "Voboril, Chuck" <Chuck.Voboril@specastro.com>
Subject: Re: CM F2000
From: Jim and Rose Ann <garryj@localnet.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:11:04 -0500
Voboril, Chuck wrote:

> Evidently, there are a lot of people jumping to conclusions because of
> the road race performance abilities of a FF2000.
> Downforce and absolute HP mean everything in that venue.

FF2000 has lots more HP and torque, wider wheels.  The car gets up and
goes alot faster than a 1600.  And it was about a hundred years ago that
people were saying that wings at Solo II speeds meant nothing.   That
has been disproven.

> Is there any attribute that indicates a FF2000 should be any
>  quicker than a FF1600 in a transient oriented, non-downforce environment?

Yes, HP and torque and downforce.   And regarding the "transient
oriented" environment,  the courses are not 100% transitional.   There
are lots and lots of places on a Solo II course where you get a huge
advantage if you out-accelerate the other guy.   A 2000, even with extra
wt, out accelerates a 1600.

>  Just to make sure, we suggested leaving wings off.
> I just got the imprsssion from Gary Godula's letter that if the wings
> were left off, he doesn't give it much of a chance.

I did not get that impression from Gary's letter.

> Maybe we missed something here.
> Are we all wet?

What you missed was that CM is a thriving, STABLE class.  There is zero
reason to add a faster car bastardized into a potentially slower car to
the mix.   If someone wants to go autocrossing in a formula car like a
FF1600/2000, then they have many cars to choose from in the 1600
formula.  If they really have their heart set on a 2000, then they will
have to realize the car won't get them a top finish at Topeka.  That's all.

Sincerely,
Jim Garry