Re: CM F2000

To: "Voboril, Chuck" <Chuck.Voboril@specastro.com>
Subject: Re: CM F2000
From: Jim and Rose Ann <garryj@localnet.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:23:40 -0500
Voboril, Chuck wrote:

> Josh,
> I believe you are right on except for:
> "I believe that there are not a lot of people who already have
> road-racing formula cars who are anxious to come try autocrossing."

I very strongly disagree with Chuck.   Josh is correct.   You can count
on one hand the number of cross-over competitors between SII and RR.   I
am signed onto the FF1600/2000 discussion site.  It shows that many,
many road racers still belittle Solo II.  I have not seen any mention on
that extremely popular and  populated site that indicates in any way
that racers are interested in autocrossing.  The *few* racers who
autocross are either former autocrossers who just want to keep a hand in
things, or they want to come out and make sure nothing falls off their
car before taking it to the track.

I've been in SCCA for almost 25 years.  In all that time there has been
talk of making cross-over easier and some ideas have been tried.   But
cross over does not happen often.  And it is NOT because of the
structure.  There simply isn't the interest.  For 99% of us, we either
want to autocross or road race.   If you are in favor of the FF2000
going to CM in hopes of encouraging cross over, then you are going to
help 1 or 2 people nationwide and hurt everyone else in CM.

Sincerely,
Jim Garry