RE: Commuting in a TR6

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Commuting in a TR6
From: Bernard Robbins <brobbins@nec.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 08:32:16 +1200
Hi Jason,

As others have said, I believe it really does depend on the type of driving.

I commuted for about 10 years in my Triumph 2500 saloon. The first five
years were pretty easy on the car - it was country driving (I worked at a
rural university). The last five years were motorway driving here in
Wellington.  I guess I've added around 120,000 miles to the car over this
time.

I found that while the old Trumpy was entirely reliable, the regular work
does wear them a lot faster than a modern vehicle.  In particular, I found
the motorway grime really hard on the 30yr old paintwork.  It got to the
stage where I didn't have the time to do the maintenance due to work
pressures, so I decided to retire the old girl and get something designed
for the abuse (a Nissan as it turned out).

I guess it can be summed up as:

Pros:
Get to drive a great car to and from work. This makes going to work a
pleasure, and gives you something to look forward too at the end of the day.
Personally, I place a high value on this which is why I ran my car daily for
10 years! All of my Triumphs have very high smiles per mile :-)

Cons:
The cars wear out. You can end up spending all your weekends maintaining
them, or you pay for your mechanic's kids to go through college if you
aren't careful.

Now days, I've even given up on the Nissan (petrol here is horribly
expensive, but that's another story for another day).  During the summer, I
will sometimes bring the '6 or the saloon into town just for something
different. Otherwise, they are firmly relegated to the weekend driver
status.

Hope this helps

Regards
Bernard Robbins