Re: drilled brake rotors

To: Jim Jones <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: drilled brake rotors
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:57:35 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Jim Jones wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with cross drilled brake rotors on their
> cars? I know that some modern cars benefit from them. What about our
> decidely UN-modern cars? Are their good and/or bad aspects?

This question begs another question in response: what exactly do you want
to do? If the answer is stop better, then my response would be to go for
better friction materials _combined_ with better tires. If you want the
car to look kool, then drilled/slotted rotors are okay. I'll also suggest
19" rims and 35 series tires along with the requisite Type R stickers
pasted front and rear. :-)

Seriously, the brakes on TR6 are quite adequate. The Toyota 4 pot
conversion aluded to on the VTR web site is pretty darn good (note that
they use solid rotors, not vented!) and the Sunbeam Alpine rear wheel
cyls. can be used to move the bias rearward a tad which is a good thing.
But the effect of the brakes on real stopping distance will always be
limited by the tire contact patch and nothing else. If you don't optimize
the patch, you will stop no better with beefy brakes than with the stock
setup.

> Thanks,
>

> Jim Jones
> '72 Emerald

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |