Re: drilled brake rotors

To: Jim Jones <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>, 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: drilled brake rotors
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:35:19 -0400
At 8:30 AM -0700 6/25/04, Jim Jones wrote:
Does anyone have experience with cross drilled brake rotors on their
cars? I know that some modern cars benefit from them. What about our
decidely UN-modern cars? Are their good and/or bad aspects?

Jim,
Drilled rotors are one of those incremental improvements. Taken
alone, they don't do much. They tend to crack around the holes if the
holes are not chamfered properly. Yes, they are effective in reducing
fade, but unless you routinely fade your brakes, they simply look
cool.

There is a conversion that uses the vented rotors from a Toyota sedan
that would give you more cooling and greater rotor mass. (More rotor
mass=larger heat sink=less fade)

If you are experiencing brake fade, the simple fix is to remove the
sheet metal backing plate from the upright. This made a world of
difference on my rally car years ago.
--
Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (27 year owner)