Rough Running When Hot - SOLVED!

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Rough Running When Hot - SOLVED!
From: William Maslin <cwrm4@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 10:30:24 -0700 (PDT)
Folks,

A couple months ago I posted a message
regarding a seemingly unsolvable (to me) rough running
when hot problem. I tried every diagnostic trick I
knew to no avail. I received many great responses as
usual that were very helpful, and thus thought I would
update the list on the solution.

The problem turned out to be the fuel pump. The fuel
pump on the car during this episode was an Italian
AC-repro I bought from TRF about 1.5 years ago for
like $75. It had about 750 miles on it when the
problems started. I first replaced the TRF pump with
an old spare (which fixed the problem), and then a new
generic (Canadian-built!) $30 pump, and have had no
problems in the last month and some 400 miles.

I disassembled the TRF pump and found on close
inspection that the internal screen appeared "melted",
for lack of a better term. The screeen was somewhat
distorted -- the mesh was more of a solid in some
places. The check valves and diaphragm looked fine. I
called TRF and they said "Gee, haven't ever heard of
that, thanks, goodbye."

In the future I'll add a fuel pressure gauge to my
troubleshooting kit...in this case I was fooled by the
fact that, after detaching a fuel line when the engine
running rough, I could quickly fill up a peanut butter
jar with fuel.

Cheers

William
'74 TR6