Re: Safety

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Safety
From: Tony Drews <drewst03@home.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:03:20 -0600
Don, I would leave the roll bar and front brakes / hubs alone.  I'm aware of a
recent front hub problem which caused a wheel to fall off on a TR-3 based car.
Same hubs are used on the TR-4's.  Most of us run stock front hubs and rotors,
but there's been recent discussion about making new aluminum front hubs to
eliminate this as a possible failure.  Since we're generally running the stock
hubs, we don't have experience with the heat transfer from the stock rotors -
boiling the lube out of the bearings can cause interesting (and not in a good
way) failures too.  The roll cage is a bit more questionable to me, but you've
got to keep in mind that the TR-4 frame and body was marginal from the
factory.  It does definitely stiffen the front suspension and give you a
performance advantage (as do the ventilated disks), but in my mind it also adds
to the safety of the car.  Since you've detuned the engine somewhat and you're
driving a TR-4, you're still not going to win a bunch of races.  The 356's will
blow your doors off like they do ours.  And keeping all the wheels attached is
a VERY desirable thing.

We certainly welcome another Triumph to the middle of the pack!

- Tony Drews
TR-4 vintage project under construction
co-driver of the uncle jack TR-4 (also under construction due to the rear axle
deal)
http://208.214.219.23 ("interesting" in-car video posted here among other
things)