Re: Safety

To: marshall@nefcom.net
Subject: Re: Safety
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 12:32:08 EST
In a message dated 11/30/2000 12:19:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
marshall@nefcom.net writes:

<< I'm willing to cut the cage and replace the brakes if necessary, but before
 I take the time and spend the money to downgrade them, I'd be interested to
 know whether there's anything to this and if I may actually be compromising
 safety in the interest of originality.  I'm aware that some groups are more
 liberal in their interpretation of "safety" upgrades than others, and that
 if I decide to keep the bars and brakes I might be limited as to where I
 can race.  I'd also hate to downgrade the car and then roll it into a ball
 because something broke that could have been avoided.

 Any input is welcome..
 Thanks,
 Don Marshall

Don,

Your questions have different answers depending on the part of the country
you intend to race in.

At SVRA we would allow the aluminum hubs, because hubs are free under the '67
rules and you could have had them. However, you would still have to use the
correct rotors or an equivalent substitute.

The extended cage legs are a subjective question. It would have been legal to
use them, but nobody did it until '69 or '70. I would have to see the car or
a photo to determine if we could live with them.

Some clubs only allow 4 point roll bars. We don't count the points. We look
at intent and integrity of the whole package. We want you to be safe and we
want your car to look correct.

Jack Woehrle