Re: Vintage racing question

To: clmautz@yahoo.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vintage racing question
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 12:06:11 EST
After just reading a similar commentary on events at Goodwood, Monterey, et
al, it is apparent that there are distinctly different schools of thought on
Vintage Racing in Yurrup (stolen from Satch) vs. here in the colonies.

It would seem that Yurrupeans don't mind trashing their hardware (and each
other) in the "spirit of the moment", while at least most groups here seem to
frown on the practice.  Personally speaking, I don't want EITHER Sterling
Moss in a multi-million dollar Aston, OR some newbie in his $2500 Datsun
(sorry Datsun drivers...nothing personal...they're just at the "entry level"
end of the spectrum at the moment...there was a time when they said the same
thing of my Cortina) 510 doing the same thing.  Not everyone out there bought
Microsoft @ $2.00 and can afford regular rebuilds and restos....not to
mention the risk of injury in a shunt.

So, here I am preaching the gospel of "Vintage Spirit".  We're all out there
to race (yes, really race), have fun, show off the cars, and generally hang
out and socialize with our friends and fellow racers.  As has been said at
countless driver's meetings, there are no giant purses, no big trophies, so
its not worth risking life, limb, and equipment to take the chequer first.
(Having said that, I think we REALLY must examine the issue of PAID drivers,
like Sterling, who DO have something to lose when some talented amatuer blows
his doors off.  Yet, you would think that the pro's, with their years of
experience would be better equipped to handle such situations, now wouldn't
you??).

I firmly believe that ANY contact, and serious agressive driving (as
determined by the event officials, corner workers, and other drivers)
deserves disciplinary action (including suspension for some # of races, and a
probationary period thereafter).  Other than a catastropic mechanical
failure, I don't believe there's ANY excuse for contact in a vintage race.
If you're not a good enough driver to deal with unforseen situations, then
dial it down a notch until you are.  And, don't whine and complain when
you're put on the trailer for taking someone out.

Well, here I go again....spam away, gang!!!

Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus (also doubles as a soapbox) Cortina Mk1 #128