Vintage racing question

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Vintage racing question
From: Chip Mautz <clmautz@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 08:04:43 -0800 (PST)
I recall a discussion a few months back, on vintage racing, and whether
or not one should really race the cars, as they're pieces of history,
etc.

The topic centered around a move that Stirling Moss did at the Monterey
Historics, and whether he should have behaved that way w/ the historic
machine he was driving.

While watching Speedvision last night, I watched a show on Goodwood
'99, and it featured a retro race.  Everyone dressed up in vintage
clothes, etc.

Well, during one of the races, Alan DeCadenet punted someone off, for
'taking his racing line'.  He damaged both cars, and his excuse was
that "some poor lapped chap came back onto his line, and he punted him
off," implying that he deserved it for making the move.

He also interviewed Moss, who was there, as the honored figure - his
birthday is apparently on the same day.

Comments?  I thought it was rather interesting...

Chip
no vintage race car, but working on a:
'96 Land Rover Discovery SE7
'71 Triumph Spitfire MKIV - may end up a racer, definately autocross
material

=====
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.
And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
-Friedrich Nietzsche