Re: Vintage racing question

To: "Chip Mautz" <clmautz@yahoo.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Vintage racing question
From: "Robert Alder" <alder_rj@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 19:45:42 -0700
Chip,
You are very observant.  Apparently the British version of "Vintage Racing"
is far different than the US version.  Frankly the Brits are really racing,
and that's fine.  That's just there belief system.  Maybe they simply have
more cars to draw on.  However, in the US we are trying to still emphasize
"vintage racing" not racing old cars.  That's really  the great debate,
isn't it?   That is, do we (US vintage racers) want to "vintage race" or
simply "race" vintage cars?  From what I can tell, we would prefer to
"vintage race."   That's the challenge of our sport in the US --- to NOT let
it evolve into what the Brits are doing and be able to let drivers like
Sterling (to pick on him) KNOW that there is a difference here.  He surely
has the skill to tell the difference and can act accordingly   (And he has a
year to think about the difference, thanks to Steve Earle.)  Nothing says
the ethic has to be the same on both sides of the pond.