RE: front brake lock-up

To: Gavin Ivory <G_Ivory@beutel-can.com>
Subject: RE: front brake lock-up
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 09:40:32 -0400
Racing is an exercise in converting money into heat, noise and fear, with
the victor being the one who converts the most money the fastest.  With that
as your guiding principle, they work great.

Blue pads are pretty aggressive, heat up slow, and take out discs, but they
really stop the car.  I run Black pads in my sports racer, and they seem
kinder to the discs.  For your application, I personally would get street
pads ( I don't know if Hawke makes some, but Carbon Friction probably do),
and not run racing pads at all.  That might help your brake balance problem,
too.

In my experience, race cars and street cars are solving two different
problems, so what works on the track sometimes isn't great for the street.

Brian

At 06:52 AM 5/11/99 -0400, you wrote:

> BTW, watch the
>disc wear - Hawke Blue takes out discs very quickly compared to a streetable
>pad - we took the discs on a Midget below spec in probably 6 races.
>
>...you're not kidding Brian. After 1 driving school day, they were seriously
>worn. Is the performance/wear trade-off worth it for track work?
>
>Thanks
>Gavin

Brian Evans
Director, Global Sales