Re: front brake lock-up

To: G_Ivory@beutel-can.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: front brake lock-up
From: S800Racer@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 13:12:24 EDT
In a message dated 5/10/99 9:03:02 AM, G_Ivory@beutel-can.com writes:

<<Front brakes: I replaced the orig. TR6 solid disc 2 pots in favor of
4 pot Wilwoods, Hawke blues,  and 11" vented rotors. >>

        My car (1967 Honda S800 - 1500lbs) has front discs/rear drums and I
am using Hawk blue pads.  I definitely get front lock-up before rear.  With
my car, the rear brakes were never very good and this is endemic to the car.
I still use stock linings on the rear shoes and will never wear them out
because the rears just don't work very hard.  I will probably try having some
shoes re-lined to see if that helps.  I already have bias adjustable girling
master cylinders.  Adjusting more rear bias only seems to take away from
front braking power.
        So the car doesn't stop as well as it could with better rear brakes.
But S800s never did have great brakes.  In any case, I would much rather have
front lock-up than too much rear brake.  Front lock-up won't spin you out
like rear lock-up would.
        If you upgraded your front brakes with all the goodies you mentioned
in your email, I'm not surprised that you have front lock-up but that doesn't
necessarily mean that you have a problem.

                "But they sure stop fast. Whatta difference."

        So you have great braking with front lock-up?  I'd say that you have
a safe and effective set-up especially for someone with limited experience.

        Doug Meis
        Team Escargot.