Re: front brake lock-up

To: Gavin Ivory <G_Ivory@beutel-can.com>
Subject: Re: front brake lock-up
From: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 10:22:18 -0700
I definitely suggest you try it again with the new tires first. See, this
is why when you ask a question, it helps to provide the background up
front. Knowing that you upgraded the front calipers, but ran the test on
old tires does make a difference.

Under hard braking, you are transferring weight to the front. The more
weight you transfer to the front, the more grip your front tires have. If
the tires are old and hard, they will reach their limit sooner, therefore
you will not get to the max weight transfer you will see with new ones.
The weight transfer has a lot to do with the brake balance. Ideally, you
do want the fronts to lock slightly before the rears, but a big imbalance
does not inspire confidence. Again, with new tires, you will get more
weight transfer, which changes the brake balance. That's why a balance bar
for a dual master setup or a proportioning valve (where legal) is a good
thing. You can adjust the car for changing conditions.