Re: By the way....

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: By the way....
From: ply@adtrading.com (Patrick Young)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 21:30:23 +0100
I've been very interested in this discussion, even the references to
"Madonna analogies." I must say I was rather surprised that the Madonna was
used to touring these days as I thought she was long since dead and her
views would not have been commensurate with arguing over such worldly goods
as exclusive tour buses anyway. However, fortunately a house guest has just
informed me that she is some form of modern popular young person's beat
combo. singer. Well I never, what an interesting world, one learns something
every day! Next thing we know somebody will have a group of young men from
some hideous northern English town (if that's not tautology) put together
and call them something silly like "desert well" or even "Oasis" (yes, that
has a certain catchy tring to it!) and we'll have to show our young people
that old film with the name "Alex" in the middle so that they know precisely
what deserts are for anw what happens to innocent youths if they happen to
stray into one without a water bottle and a blanket for those chilly nights.

Anyway, a few folk have noted that they don't think any even minuscule
handout interests folk who spend a lot of money to go racing.

...please note I am _not_ discussing the merits of _selectively_ giving
incentives to certain folk...

Anyway, when I ran Irish historic racing a number of years ago, our
sponsorship enabled us to pay "start money" to all those entrants who
completed a lap.

The actual amount was still less than driver's entry fees and several of the
competitors were, to put it mildly, comfortably well heeled. Nevertheless,
each of them was truly flabbergasted when they got a small cheque paid a
race in arrears for their having essentially just turned up.

So, actually, squillionaire, zillionaire or just plaing poor boy wanting to
race old cars, my experience is that all incentives tend to go down well
with all entrants, even if the sum is a mere drop in the ocean concerned to
their overall expenditure.

Oh, and whether you raced an MGB or a Ford GT40, or one of the varied
machines in between, everybody got the same fee...

Regards,

Patrick