Re: By the way....

To: favres@engmail.ulinear.com, owner-vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: By the way....
From: S800Racer@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 12:54:47 -0400 (EDT)

        I don't know if I can convince you of my point here as you have
accepted the
concept that owners of expensive machinery are actually swayed by the free
entry or towing expenses to an event.  I think that's analogous to Madonna
deciding to play a particular arena because the promoter will provide an
extra tour bus for her.  And that tour bus would be off limits to her backup
singers and the band.  She already has a tour bus and it would be a very
minor consideration for her.

        The guys that bring their cars to the event in 18 wheelers with a full
complement of paid crewmen do not need to save a lousy $200 - $300 on the
entry!  I wouldn't want to know how small a fraction of their expenses for
one weekend that $300 turns out to be.  Frankly, my hat is off to these
people.  I have a lot of respect for anyone who goes to the tremendous
expense and effort that it takes to put some of those fast and expensive cars
on the track.

        I like to see the fast, expensive and loud stuff just like the paying
fans.
 But I don't want to subsidize their racing.  When the organizer gives them a
free entry or towing expenses or free garage space and next year ups
everyones entry fees by $25.00 per event (because "costs" are going up),
everyone else is subsidizing those freebies.

                Does all this mean that I don't want them to be catered to all?
 NO! They
can still be given some preferential treatment without great cost to the rank
and file.  They can have preferred paddock space, have a special concours for
their cars, the special marque feature races, etc.  Those things don't cost
much.  A good example was something SVRA did at Watkins Glen where the Can-Am
cars were featured.  They had a registration window set up for Can-Am owners
only.  I would much rather see that kind of pandering than something that
costs the organization money.

        The organizers have said for years the costs have skyrocketed and that
is
the reason for increased entry and membership fees.  I believe them.
 However, I also believe that costs are in the process of stabilizing.  While
costs are not going to continue to increase at a steep rate, entries and
number of events appear are as high as ever.  I also believe that corporate
sponsorship will continue to increase and more spectators are going to come
to more events.  This should allow most of the  vintage organizations to
operate in the black and I'm all for that.  But at some point, I would like
to see some of the new wealth shared with the rank and file which, for the
reasons stated in my previous ranting and raving, I believe would make good
business sense and make the organization stronger.

        I remain,
                Your humble riot inciting, believer in hopeless causes,
        Doug Meis - Team Escargot
        1967 Honda S800

        Other favorite hopeless causes:
        Apple computers, Wake Forest University football, world peace, equal
rights
and Honda as the feature marque for a vintage race weekend (okay, even I
don't beleive in that last one!)